Thursday, January 21, 2010

Preservation Plans for 2010


Farmer's Daughter recently wrote about her goals for preserving in this upcoming year. She was inspired by reading Independence Days, a book I'd like to read at some point. This got me to thinking about how pleased I was with last year's canning efforts (my first EVER!), and how I'd like to expand on that. And so, without further ado:

Peach Jam: 1 dozen 12 oz. jars (for gifts), 1 dozen 1/2 pints for us
Canned whole peaches: 1 dozen quarts
Applesauce: 2 dozen pints
Strawberries: freeze as many as possible (whole)
Strawberry jam: 1 dozen 1/2 pints (some for gifts)
Roasted Tomato sauce: 4 dozen 1/2 pints
Whole tomatoes: 2 dozen pints
Freezer Pesto: 2 dozen 1/2 pints

It looks like I'd better start buying some more 1/2 pint jars. Fortunately, Ralph's is now selling them. So, hopefully no more broken jars.

Some provisos: I'm planning to grow strawberries this year. Hopefully, they do well. And it'd be nice to get more than six apples off of our tree this year. And maybe the peach tree will fruit this year... As you can see, I have a lot of hope for our little orchard...

Do you have any preservation plans for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment