Thursday, October 8, 2009

Green shipping ROI: Return(s) on investment


When I received my Ball canning jars today, I heard an ominous tinkling sound. Immediately, I thought of the scene in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, when Jim Carrey dresses up as a delivery man to deliver a fake package so that he can kidnap an abused furry little dog. One of my (many) favorite scenes in the movie is when he first does a handstand on the package and then kicks it down the hallway, if he's going for a goal.

"Hmm, that can't be good be a good sound."

Sure enough, one of the jars had shattered. It's no wonder, given the crappy packaging the company did. They only put filler on the top. Since when do packages only get battered from the top?

Anyway my next thought, of course, was what to do about this. I grimaced at the idea of shipping the whole entire box back to the company, just for one jar. All that fuel! What a waste of energy! What if I just sent the one broken jar back? Well, that seemed ludicrous - and somewhat dangerous. Ross suggested taking a picture of the broken glass and emailing it to them. So I finally called them. Their solution? We'll just credit you the amount. Let's see 12 jars for roughly $12, plus a wee bit for shipping (suggested by my helpful cheap-ass self) comes to... $1.15!

Wow, what a waste of my time...

Update: Now Ralph's supermarket sells Ball jars and supplies! I'm so happy! I can now pick up a dozen here and there, rather than try to estimate all of my canning needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment