Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"Growing a Social Movement to Change the Food System"


Last night I went to a lecture on changing the food system at the San Diego Natural History Museum. All of us from my Green Group went - our first field trip! It was given by Erika Lesser, the Executive Director of Slow Food USA. It's part of a series called "Sustainable Planet: Food." I'd heard of Slow Food USA and was interested in learning more about the organization, so I was excited. I was especially interested to hear about the "Time for Lunch" program, which seeks to reform the school lunch program. They also have started several farm to school programs. Apparently, I was impressed enough to break my Buy Nothing (New) Challenge and buy a new membership. Sigh...

Afterward, one of the questions from the audience was from a French woman addressing the issue of spending quality time around the table. I thought this was a great question, and Ms. Lesser answered by saying that one of Slow Food USA's core values is taking time to cook, which seems pretty self-evident from it's name. Still, she talked about how cooking has to compete with work, driving, and family time. She indicated that the key to this is building and maintaining food traditions within the family.

What are some food traditions that you have in your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment