Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dinner: It's what's for dinner

This afternoon I was feeling a bit panicky with regard to dinner tonight. Even though I'd planned out the week in advance as usual, I realized that, of my two remaining meals for the week: one was a crockpot (or, as my sister calls it, "crotchpot") meal, and the other required chicken. The chicken which we already ate. Granted, this was a chicken and shrimp dish, so I suppose it could have been just a shrimp dish. And it's not like I can skip it altogether, since I have some fresh mushrooms that I bought for the recipe, that are marching towards their expiration date. And I hate throwing out food.

So... what's for dinner? Isn't this the question we moms are confronted with every night? Actually, now that I think about it, it's more my husband that asks this, since the kids don't really care that much yet. In fact, wee lass has only recently started asking about dinner. Invariably, her response to my chirpy answer, in the naive hope that that will convince her that it's a new and wonderful dish, is a crinkled up nose and a "Bleh!" Or more recently, now that she's started kindergarten: "That's disgusting!" I try to shrug it off and not take it too personally. Anybody who is close to me is probably laughing their ass off at the mere idea of me not taking something, anything personally. Suffice it to say: I'm often described as "sensitive" (with "overly" tacked on for good measure, those meany meanies).

No, usually it's my dh who is doing the asking. And when my replies range from Quinoa Sundaes! to Sweet Potato Turkey Stew!, who can blame him for his non-committal "Oh," or "Huh." Fortunately, I have been blessed with an adventurous eater for a husband, who at least tries the recipes I've dug up from many varied sources. He is also not one of those men who declares it not to be a meal, unless there's a chunk of meat on the plate in some shape or form. Not surprising, since he used to be a vegetarian. But even still, he sure appreciates meat when it is on the plate.

Back to dinner tonight. What am I going to do? I could, of course, do one of the standby meals: leftovers or pasta. But we had leftovers last night. Now, I'm not adverse to eating leftovers two nights in a row, but we actually don't have any leftovers, um left.... over. So, pasta it is. Sigh. The sheer boredom of even writing that is surely a sign that I am not going to make pasta. I'd probably be too bored to even eat it. Hmm, well, maybe not that bored. But still.

What can I make from what I already have in the pantry? My mind goes *completely* blank. My whole approach to cooking in the past few years has revolved around buying food to make specific dishes. My pantry only contained what I needed to make the meals that I'd planned for that week. Other people are more creative in their cooking. They buy what looks good in the store and figure out how to fit it together into the completed puzzle of dinner. The few times I've used this approach, when I looked into the fridge, I just saw a jumble of pieces. Do they even fit together? Or will there be a huge hole in the panorama that could only have been filled by, I don't know, potatoes?

Even buying an extra vegetable, because it's on sale of course, is enough to throw me off. Right now, a bunch of asparagus is mocking me, "Ha, ha! I'm going to rot away in your fridge, because you don't have the creativity to add me to a recipe." I'm very "by the book."

But an interesting thing happened over the past couple of years: I developed a well-stocked pantry. I learned that there are things that I use often enough to warrant having them on hand at all times. By the same token, I'd learned that there are some things that I have a hard time using up before they expire.

And so, when I came across this recipe for Mock Risotto, I was astounded. I had all of the ingredients! Well, almost all. A few things I would need to substitute (plain yogurt for cream cheese). And I even get to use the asparagus! Ha - take that! I am victorious!

What staples to you keep on hand in your pantry for nights when you don't want to expend a lot of energy on dinner?

3 comments:

  1. this is a very funny post.

    i have a 'mormon cupboard' style pantry. it's a little embarrassing when i need to get something during a dinner party. but suffice it to say, if i survive the apocalypse, i'll be eating well for at least 6 months. beans, grains, flour, chocolate, coconut milk, homemade jam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth: funny you should mention a Mormon cupboard. Before today, I wouldn't have known what you were talking about. But I have been reading the blog Casaubon's Book (http://sharonastyk.com/), where she talks about Peak Oil. And I started looking at some of the food management sites she lists and found this site: http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

    For my family, we would require 1,048 lbs of grains for a year! Whew. Eye-opening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some of those ingredients/amounts are pretty funny. 1lb of baking powder/year. and also 1lb of baking soda! eek. i do get some of those things in massive bulk, though, just because it's cheaper: 25# of brown rice lasts me about a year. 25# of dry milk for amending yogurt lasts a couple of years. i also get a 12lb jar of avocado blossom honey once a year. sweet.

    ReplyDelete